Fixer Upper: Cabinet Remodel

It’s almost shocking how one project can transform a room. Of course, painting cabinets was a bigger project than I expected it to become but it was certainly worth it in the end.

The previous occupant had painted half, yes HALF, the cabinets and the hardware with white acrylic paint. The landowners and I thought it may have been easier to just buy all new cabinets and be done with it. After doing some research online and talking over the costs of purchasing new cabinets, I decided to take on this project head on. It was much cheaper to do it this way and all the blogs online said it would be a quick and easy weekend project.

Boy I was wrong. Well, it was definitely way cheaper but this is no weekend project. Again, don’t think that you can do this all on a Saturday through Sunday and call it good. The sanding alone took a day since the cabinets that didn’t have a horrible acrylic paint job, had a thick glossy coat that was tough to break through. If you were to do this yourself, I highly recommend not skipping the sanding. Most cabinets have a top coat finish that won’t take to paint. Sanding allows the wood to be porous enough to have the paint stick. Even after, I had to do three coats of the off white paint for the top cabinets and 2 coats for the bottom in order to cover everything.

img_6936

The inside of the cabinets had this outdated yellow flower contact paper that would make your great grandma cringe. While I tried to remove some of it, I decided to cover it up with a pretty white marble contact paper I found at Lowes. Even though it made a HUGE difference, I developed a small personal hatred for contact paper. It can be very difficult to handle when placing inside a cabinet, and I have very little patience getting the bubbles out. Despite that, it covered the yellow flowers and gave it a cleaner look.

The doors took more time than I would have liked. I had to sand them a few times in order to get the paintbrush marks out. Also, since it was the doors I did about 3-4 coats of paint on both the top and the bottom to hide any imperfections from before.

I used the original hardware which was a bronze metal or painted with the acrylic paint. I went to Walmart and found a metallic spray paint that matched the stainless steel of the sink. Once I got most the paint off, I went to town with doing a few coats.

Installing wasn’t that difficult once I had Colton help me hold up the doors. Without his help, it would’ve taken me much longer for installation. It took us maybe 45 minutes to do both.

Overall, I’m so amazed that this project really helped the kitchen pop. The colors flow well with the light grey walls and the Commick Pine flooring that were previously done. The kitchen looks completely different than the day back in May where I toured the house. We couldn’t have pulled it off without the support of the landowners, our family, and friends. (Excuse the missing drawer in the pictures as I have to install a new drawer mechanism!)

Stay tuned for more home projects!

img_7632

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s