DIY Christmas

Finally I get to show off some EASY DIYs for the holidays!

Garland:

This took me a few hours and a half of bottle of wine to get through this DIY. All you need is a sewing needle, thread, and cotton balls! The only thing you have to do is to try to go through the middle of the cotton ball and keep going until you have enough for your tree. At the end, just wrap the thread around the last cotton ball and tie a knot. I used about 200 cotton balls for my tree. I did have to roll some of the cotton balls in my hands so they looked less of a marshmallow and more of a ball. One tip I do have is to make sure you have room for this DIY. Once you start spreading out the cotton balls, you’ll need the room to stretch out.

Paw Print Ornaments:

Of course with being a dog mom, I had to get my pups in on the Christmas fun! I used salt dough and some gold paint to make these ornaments really pop.

Salt Dough Recipe:

• 1 cup of flour
  • 1/2 cup of salt
  • 1/2 cup of water

Once you rolled out the dough, cut it with whatever shape you’d like. (I used a drinking glass to get my perfect circles.) You do have to press down on the dough with your pup’s paw just enough that it leaves a good imprint. Before you bake, make sure you use a straw or a dowel to make a hole for the ribbon or string to go through. Bake at 200 degrees for 2 hours and viola!

Pine Cone Ornaments:

These are great because you can soak them in essential oils to help make your tree smell amazing! I picked up a few pine cones from outside and cleaned them of all dirt/bugs that may have been lurking. I soaked them in wintergreen essential oil and once they were dried, I painted them. Hot glue a ribbon in a circle and there you have perfect smelling ornaments!

“Merry Christmas” Sign:

This one took some time since you have to add a few coats of paint. I used an old cabinet door I found in the barn but you can find these doors at any Habitat for Humanity or Salvation Army! I used acrylic for the white and chalkboard paint for the black. Like I said before I added a few coats to this in order for it to cover and get the look I wanted. You could also use spray paint! I hand painted the letters and added some holly in the corners.

There you have it, folks! I hope you give these DIYs a try for your Christmas decor!

Till Next Time,

31 Comments

1. December 11, 2017 / 11:32 pm

I want to make the essential oil pine cones! What a great idea! I haven’t ever thought about it, but it would be much better to use organic oils than fake scents. And it’s beautiful to boot.

• joyouslyjess@gmail.com
      Author
      December 14, 2017 / 5:15 pm

The essential oils stay so much longer too!

2. December 12, 2017 / 10:27 am

love these ideas! Great inspo for some cute little diy’s! The pine tree ornaments are perfect to put on a green tree! I think I’ll add it a little twist and paint them golden or red… It would look super cool 🙂

3. Joanna
    December 12, 2017 / 11:36 am

I love your DYI decorations, they are not only beautiful but make your Christmas Tree look so special. I like that you used pine cones as ornaments, it gives it a more forest look, with the cotton balls which resemble snow.

• joyouslyjess@gmail.com
      Author
      December 14, 2017 / 5:10 pm

Thank you so much!

4. December 12, 2017 / 1:32 pm

Oh I love the pine cones. How festive and could stay up all winter long!

5. December 12, 2017 / 3:05 pm

I love your idea of string cotton balls together Jess. We used to try make the popcorn garland but I’m afraid if we didn’t eat the popcorn quicker than we could string it, our cats and dogs had an absolute feast once it was up.

• joyouslyjess@gmail.com
      Author
      December 14, 2017 / 5:12 pm

Haha that’s exactly why I didn’t do popcorn! I know my pups would devour it the second I put it up!

6. December 12, 2017 / 3:16 pm

I love this look, I think we will add the cotton balls to our tree, we usually do pop corn but every year we catch the children eating it. But I love the look of of it, at least with the cotton balls it’ll look like little snowballs floating around.

7. Agnes Vazhure
    December 12, 2017 / 3:29 pm

Wow!! This DIY Christmas tree is so stunning. I like the idea of Paw print ornament. It looks so unique and awesome. I will try this later for our Christmas tree.

8. Chique Chica
    December 12, 2017 / 4:58 pm

My 9 year old just gained a new interest in sewing. The cotton ball garland will be just the thing for her DIY heart. She might even try the pine ones!

• joyouslyjess@gmail.com
      Author
      December 14, 2017 / 5:12 pm

Aww I hope she has fun with it!

9. December 12, 2017 / 5:22 pm

The cotton balls on the tree is a cute idea, and I love the Christmas sign! This is a good idea to save money and put your own personal touch on Christmas decor. Thanks for sharing!

10. December 12, 2017 / 6:13 pm

These all look fabulous! The paw print ornaments are such a sweet way of including furry family members in the festivities! Also I really thought the gardland looked like marshmallows. That was my first though!

11. December 12, 2017 / 7:53 pm

These are some amazing DIY projects! I would love to do the paw print ornaments, as I have puppies. My youngest probably would not let me near her paw but I would love to try.

12. December 12, 2017 / 10:26 pm

The paw print ornaments are so cute! The cottonball snow garland is cute, too!

13. December 13, 2017 / 8:02 am

These are so cute and look like projects that I could actually do, especially with wine involved! 🤣 I especially love the paw print ornaments.

14. December 13, 2017 / 9:17 am

i love the cute little paw print ones! will be attempting this tonight with my cat! could end badly though!

• joyouslyjess@gmail.com
      Author
      December 14, 2017 / 5:09 pm

Haha good luck! My little dog wasn’t about it!

15. December 13, 2017 / 10:29 am

I did not do a christmas tree this year as i moved into a new flat and also i am celebrating in germany but these diy are so cute and so cool! i will bookmark this post for n ext year!

16. December 13, 2017 / 12:02 pm

These are so cute, I really love the pine cones. I love how easy and simple this DIY is but it can make your home look so festive.

17. December 13, 2017 / 1:28 pm

Love how economic and adorable your Christmas decoration are! I never knew you can make salt dough just by mixing salt, flour and water! I like the paw print idea… Ps. I thought the cotton balls were marshmallow in the first place~

18. Nicole Flint
    December 13, 2017 / 2:38 pm

I love the paw print ornaments! Fun way to get your pets involved this holiday season!

19. December 13, 2017 / 3:29 pm

Love the pine cone ornaments! Great suggestions for a spot of Christmas DIY!

20. Candy Rachelle
    December 13, 2017 / 3:33 pm

Oh! Those are such cute DIY Christmas decorations! Those look so adorable really. I want to try some DIY and display it before the day.

21. Elizabeth O
    December 13, 2017 / 4:19 pm

I do really love do it yourself project. and these Christmas tree decoration ideas look so cute especially this paw print ornament is a must try, so cute.

22. Diana
    December 13, 2017 / 6:49 pm

These are such great ideas! I’m gonna do the pine cone ornaments, they look so nice! Hope mine will be as beautiful as yours

• joyouslyjess@gmail.com
      Author
      December 14, 2017 / 5:13 pm

I hope the best for you! Thanks for reading!

23. December 27, 2017 / 4:28 am

Lol DIY can be so tedious but it’s one of my fave hobbies! It turned out beautifully.

• joyouslyjess@gmail.com