How To Get Into The Holiday Spirit

How To Get Into The Holiday Spirit

Let’s be honest, sometimes you can’t be the person who jumps on the Christmas train the second November 1st hits or the person who puts all of their decorations up on Thanksgiving OR even if it’s the first week of December and you still don’t have any spirit. Some of us takes a bit more encouragement to get into the Holly Jolly mood. For years, I was the person who grimaced at putting up a single decoration for Christmas or listening to Christmas music 24/7. Now that we have a house, I feel a bit more obligated to get into the spirit. I listed below some of my favorite things to do to help me get on the band wagon.

Start with some Holiday candles!

Who doesn’t love when their home smells cozy? I love when I can get my hands on a candle that smells like mulled cider, pine, peppermint, or sugar cookies. Bath & Body Works has some amazing 3-wick candles that often go on sale during the Holidays. Candles not your thing? They also have various duplicate smells in their wallflower department.

Decorate your living space or work space!

It’s hard not to be in the spirit when all around you shouts Christmas. Decorations don’t have to be flashy or expensive and there is definitely no wrong way to celebrate Christmas! Put up a tree, turn on some lights, maybe add a few snowman to show off your Christmas pride! The dollar store has some really great finds if you’re on a budget and let’s not forgot DIYs!

Pump on some Christmas tunes!

Ok ok ok, I may be guilty of having a hatred of this music. The same song played by a million and two different artists. However, I do have my own favorites of the Christmas music genre. Just to name a few I listed them below!

1. “It’s Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas” –Bing Crosby
  2. “Sleigh Ride” –TLC
  3. “The Christmas Song” –Michael Buble
  4. “What Christmas Means to Me” –Paul Young
  5. “Baby It’s Cold Outside” –Leon Redbone/Zooey Deschanel
  6. “Let it Snow” –Frank Sinatra

Bake!

One of my favorite things to do is decorate sugar cookies! There are some fantastic recipes on Pinterest filled with any sort of Christmas-related baked goods (and yes even recipes for those who have more sensitive tummies!). I also love when my home smells of fresh-baked goods.  If you don’t think you’re the type of person who likes to start from scratch, there are lots of fun, already made cookie dough at your local grocery market!

Watch a Holiday movie!

Nothing is better than snuggling up on the couch with a hot chocolate and watching a movie. I can’t express how much I love watching Elf, Jim Carrey’s How the Grinch Stole Christmas, and Home Alone during the cold month of December!

Sometimes you have to “fake it until you make it” to get the Holiday spirit going. Just remember that Holiday spirits come in all different shapes and sizes! No way is better than the other so stay stress free and enjoy this holiday season.

What are some things you like to do to get into the Holiday season?

Till Next Time,

23 Comments

1. December 7, 2017 / 7:42 pm

I LOVE anything pine, spruce or evergreen scented in a candle right now, because we don’t buy a real tree. With my daughter, we usually get things up pretty early~~within reason, though~~I’m not putting ANYthing up before Thanksgiving. I feel like I need to be a bit merrier this year, so I’ve been watching all the (cheesy) Hallmark Christmas movies!

• joyouslyjess@gmail.com
      December 9, 2017 / 3:55 pm

haha I love the cheesy Hallmark Movies!

2. ALICIA
    December 8, 2017 / 12:55 am

Thanks for the tips Jess! Every year it seems to get a little harder to get into the Christmas spirit. I purchased some scented pinecones yesterday and that inspired me to finally put up the Christmas tree. 🎄 Happy Holidays to you and those you love. ☃️

• joyouslyjess@gmail.com
      December 9, 2017 / 3:56 pm

I love the scented pinecones! They make everything smell so fantastic! I’m happy to hear that you got your tree up! Happy Holidays to you and your loved ones as well!

3. December 8, 2017 / 7:10 am

my favorite is to decorate my house with Christmas tree and buy Santa costumes to have fun with children.

• joyouslyjess@gmail.com
      December 9, 2017 / 3:56 pm

Awww the Santa costumes would be so fun!

4. December 8, 2017 / 3:00 pm

I am that maniac who gets into the holiday spirit by November 1.. this year the bug hit me super early! I love doing all of these, especially burning candles and listening to christmas music! I LOVE to bake, especially during these cooler months. It feels so cozy!

5. December 8, 2017 / 3:44 pm

I am all about Christmas movie ^^ And Candles because I can do much decoration wise since we are moving 4 days before Christmas 🙁 So I am trying anything else to keep me in the Holiday Spirit!

• joyouslyjess@gmail.com
      December 9, 2017 / 3:57 pm

Oh wow! Hope the move goes smoothly!

6. December 8, 2017 / 4:17 pm

I personally don’t observe Christmas, but I feel these tips will help anyone get in the mood for just about anything lol. When we are preparing for Sabbath dinner, I like set the mood with some of my favorite relaxing music and of course candles!

• joyouslyjess@gmail.com
      December 9, 2017 / 3:59 pm

Oh that’s awesome! I hope your Sabbath Dinner goes amazingly!

7. December 8, 2017 / 5:52 pm

These days I am in everlasting holiday mood. Just lazing around, having fun, working at my pace
    and having joyous moments in all that I do.

8. December 9, 2017 / 4:22 pm

For me Christmas is all about decorating, buying gifts for my loved one, packing and most spending time together.

9. December 9, 2017 / 5:16 pm

I usually don’t know what should I do to show my joy. I will try these ideas this Christmas.

10. December 9, 2017 / 6:53 pm

This reminds me that I need to create a good Christmas playlist! I also used to have a scented candle and it really helped my place to smell good.

11. December 10, 2017 / 7:14 am

Great tips! I am on and off being in a holiday spirit. I LOVE getting gifts for my beloveds and I’ve been listening to “Sussex Carol” and Hugh Jackman singing “We Three Kings” for a while now – but then I’ll only be able to go home a day before Christmas Eve, so I’m also a bit less enthousiastic for that reason. And knowing that once the celebration is over, I can get back to studying. That kills the joyful spirit swiftly 😛

• joyouslyjess@gmail.com
      December 10, 2017 / 3:22 pm

Haha I can definitely understand how studying kills the mood!

12. December 10, 2017 / 7:52 am

This is such a great list. i wasn’t feeling the holiday vibe being away from home but with this i sure now i will have my own kind of fun. xoxo

13. December 10, 2017 / 1:04 pm

Thanks for the tips sharing. Christmas is the best time to be in a holiday spirit. I have so many plans …crib,Christmas tree,outing with friends

14. December 10, 2017 / 6:51 pm

These are some great ideas. I love baking at Christmas time and listening to Christmas songs always get me in the festive spirit.

15. December 11, 2017 / 2:36 am

Nothing gets me more festive than some great tunes and cookie baking! Love the candles, too. It all sets the mood when you’re not feeling that into it.

16. Ana Vukosavljevic
    December 11, 2017 / 4:19 pm

This is a perfect guide on how to get into the holiday spirit!! I’m always in the holiday spirit and I LOVE this season. Now I know what I’ll tell to my friends who aren’t into the holiday spirit : D

17. December 12, 2017 / 8:49 am

I like to stay at home with husband decorate the house and the Christmas tree with flashing lights. We will cook and enjoy delicious food. I have followed your blog, the article is always inspirational!